Sunday, July 20, 2008

In the memory of Dr. Mark Greene M.D.


Mark Greene, Dr. Greene, he is more than a doctor to anyone of us; he is more than a man to this world. Although he had been overworked and underpaid in County General ER for 10 years, he was never tired saving lives. Thousands of lives he saved throughout his brief doctor career. I guess it’s the reason of why death was so angry with him and decided to take his life away this time.

Even in the last moment of his life, he was fantasizing of intubating a passerby with sudden obstructive respiratory problem, by using bamboo. This is the Dr. Greene we know – always being creative and critical in helping people. In the trauma room, he was the one that calmest and cool no matter who was pushed in the ER on a gurney. Quick differential diagnosis and making best decision in split of moment, that’s the level of skill I’ve been chasing. It’s never exaggerated to say that, he was the general in the trauma room that lead every one of us to fight against death and his horde.

To me personally, he is a mentor, a teacher, a father. Too many things I learned from him, and I’m going to continue to learn with every memory I had with him. Part of me really wants to be like him, and part of me realizes that it’s never been easy to be like him. He was the one that make me realize what medicine is about, and what being a doctor is about. Being an ER doctor – he showed me the answer.

To the world, his death is a lost, but what he left in medicine is a tremendous mark in the world that people wouldn’t forget about him. He is the doctor.

We’ll always remember him. Even though Dr. Greene is no longer be around any corner in the ER, but we’ll practice what he taught us, and we’ll miss him for sure. These are how we are going to keep him alive in ER.

Thank you, Dr. Greene. And, rest in peace.
This is a blog dedicated to our beloved Dr. Mark Greene who died of brain tumor, in season 8 of ER. He went peacefully in Hawaii. Even he's gone, but he'll always be my inspiration to be a doctor.

No comments: